Hi I am Mark Linklater I run Scotland's Personal Hotels a marketing group to help promote independent hotels across Scotland. I run Scotland’s Personal hotels on my own along with the help of all the hotel owners and their willing staff.
Here I am getting the day started with a great Illy coffee.
Below is a brief insight into my background and what we can do to help you at Scotland's Personal Hotels.
• Introduction to Mark
Hotels and the travel industry are my passion. I have been involved in hotels all my life, I grew up working in my father's hotels in Fife.
On leaving school rather than going to University or College I started working in the hotel industry. My first job in 1978 was at The Cramond Brig Hotel, just 5 minutes away from my office today in Edinburgh. Funny how things come about! From The Brig moved to The Gloucester hotel and also the New Town Hotel both in central Edinburgh.
I then opened my own restaurant Linklater’s – ran this for 4 years until I got married. This is when I moved from the service side of the industry into sales and marketing, helping to promote hotels.
After working for George Hotel Edinburgh part of the InterContinental hotel group, the Royal Terrace Hotel Edinburgh, promoting The East Neuk of Fife and WHL hotels. In 1992 I set up my own business Marlin Marketing to promote smaller independent hotels in Scotland from this Scotland's Personal hotels was born.
• Scotland’s Personal Hotels
After working for 5 years building up a small portfolio of hotels, I along with the hotel owners at that time thought we should form a closer working relationship to promote all the hotels. In 1997 Scotland’s Personal Hotels was born. Our first official outing was at the American Society of Travel Agents Congress in Glasgow 1997.
• Why Scotland’s Personal Hotels?
As I sat around the table with the hotel owners, we discussed many different names, the word personal kept coming up. Personal service, attention to all the little details is so important to all our hotels. All hotels are located in Scotland so we had our name: Scotland’s Personal Hotels.
• Scotland’s Personal Hotels Today
We launched our website in 1997 with 12 hotels, we now have over 50 hotels and this number is growing each year. Unlike many websites, we want to offer a few select hotels in each location rather than hundreds. In each region we aim to offer different styles and types of hotels from luxury country houses to small country inn’s offering our visitors alternatives but not overloading you with choices.
Apart form our website we also produce a full colour brochure each year. We send our brochure out to all enquiries we receive at my office as well as use them to promote the hotels at different consumer shows for example BBC Good Food Show, Golf Shows, 50+ shows and holiday shows across the UK.
• What can Scotland’s Personal Hotels do for you?
Our aim is quite simple we want to help all visitors to Scotland to find exactly what they are looking for. Should you not find it on our site we will certainly point you in the right direction.
Top 10 things we can do for you:
1. Offer advice on best way to get to Scotland from your location.
2. Offer advice on best way to get around Scotland. Book trains, buses planes from direct links from our site.
3. Need car hire we work with Auto Europe who guarantee cheapest car hire rates, there is a direct link form our site to theirs.
4. Check out our selection of hotels and book them online direct with the hotel of your choice. Using the hotels own online booking system guarantees you best available rate.
5. Impartial advice on every hotel.
6. Help and advice on what to see and do in each region of Scotland.
7. Find Scotland’s hidden gems, the not so well known attractions, the best places to eat and drink.
8. We can arrange tours around Scotland, something off the beaten track or Scotland’s main attractions.
9. Should we not have a suitable hotel, B&B or self catering property we will point you in the right direction of someone that can.
10. Last but not least we can offer you a taste of the real Scotland.
The above list is just 10 things please remember I am here to help you in any way we can to get the most out of your visit to Scotland. Have a question please just ASK Mark.
- Argyll Hotel Glasgow
Murder Mystery at The Argyll
- Allison House Hotel Edinburgh
Weekend Breaks Edinburgh
- Station Hotel Portsoy
Golf Breaks in Morayshire
- Poppies Hotel Callander
Winter Breaks at Poppies
- Caddon View House Scottish Borders
Summer Break Offer
- Abbots Brae Hotel
Wonderful 2/3 nights New Year Break
- Blackaddie House Hotel
Advance Purchase Offer
- The Roxburghe Hotel and Golf Course
Superb New Year Break at Roxburghe